HTTP Header Analysis
Every web-page delivered to a web-browser & search engine has both visible and invisible information. The visible information is the HTML. The invisible information is the "Header" information. The "Header" precedes the HTML (web-page code). The HTTP consists of a Header and then HTML. When you click "View Source" in your web-browser you see the HTML code; the Header information is hidden from sight. The search engine sees this HTTP Header information. This HTTP Header information tells the search engine and web-browser when the web-page was last edited and when it Expires; also what kind of web-server is hosting the website. If not careful the information provided in the HTTP Headers can aid hackers, and tell search engines not to bother indexing your web-pages. Header information also tells ISPs and web-browsers whether to cache the web-page. It is important to disable caching of pages with dynamic information (like auction/eCommerce websites), while having it enabled for basic information pages is good as it reduced your bandwidth costs.
The If-Modified-Since HTTP header allows a web bot to ask your web server to return the web resource or simply say "Not Modified". The web bot tells you when it last saw your resource, and you get to say "Not Modified" hence saving you and the bot time and bandwidth = money!.
Check HTTP Headers
Please enter your full URL (from your web-browser's address bar) in the text box below for a free check of your website.
Website Header Data
Checking URL: http://forbrains.co.uk ...
Status: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 03:34:10 GMT
Set-Cookie: Array (  => PHPSESSID=7gp68mfqq6nj8cir1fl694svb1; path=/  => WCMSDT=D; expires=Tue, 19-Feb-2019 03:34:10 GMT; Max-Age=2592000; path=/  => WCMSLT=D; expires=Tue, 19-Feb-2019 03:34:10 GMT; Max-Age=2592000; path=/  => WCMSAC=1240323; expires=Sat, 11-Jan-2020 13:34:10 GMT; Max-Age=30794400; path=/  => PHPSESSID=nog9r4s2qnod0e21no5ps8vnu7; expires=Sun, 20-Jan-2019 05:04:10 GMT; Max-Age=5400; path=/ )
Expires: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 04:30:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
X-Powered-By: ForBrains WCMS
Last-Modified: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:00:00 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
- Great to see you have a Expires entry. Make sure that this is set to the past if you want the web-browser to grab a fresh copy each time instead of using it's cache. Set to the future if you want to save bandwidth and tell the web-browser / search engine that the content of this page in the cache can be updated later.
- The value for Cache-Control is telling web-browsers not to cache this page. Ideal if you have dynamic content; a waste of bandwidth if you have pages that do not frequently change. Dangerous is using without checking for MSIE in the UserAgent due to how Internet Explorer handles downloads.
- The value for Pragma is telling web-browsers not to cache this page. Ideal if you have dynamic content; a waste of bandwidth if you have pages that do not frequently change. Dangerous is using without checking for MSIE in the UserAgent due to how Internet Explorer handles downloads.
- Great to see you have a Content-Language entry. This tells the search engine and web-browser that your web-page is in "en".
- Great to see you have a Last-Modified entry. Make sure that this is sometime in the past (when you last updated the page).
HTTP Header Analysis
If you would like telephone or email consultancy regarding the results of the above test please contact us; we will be happy to assist you and explain things at a level suitable for you.